So special to me that my dear friend Hill got to be present for Ashlee's arrival! Here is a letter she wrote to Ashlee.....Ashlee's birth story from Auntie Hill's perspective.
Dear Ashlee,
Wow, the day you were born…it was a pretty awesome day. I was so excited, so nervous for your Mom, so just wanting to be a part of it all.
I got a phone call from your Mom, or should I say, Ingalls Memorial Hospital, in the middle of the afternoon. My heart immediately began thumping hard because I knew it was probably her and that you had decided to make an appearance. Your Mom told me that her water had broken right after her ultrasound and that they were moving her to a room at the hospital…and so the race began.
I sat on pins and needles the whole rest of the afternoon: wondering, praying, waiting, waiting, and waiting some more. I so much wanted you and your Mom to be healthy and I was also SO secretly praying that you would be a girl because I knew that that was what your Mom was dreaming about. Now, don’t get me wrong…she loves Trevor so much and would never trade him in J but there is just something about having a daughter, you guys are pretty special.
Anyway, as soon as Uncle Troy got home from work I fed your buddy, Quinn, and jetted off to the hospital. I met up with your Grandma, Auntie Jana, and Auntie Amy in the waiting room. They were pretty excited too and talking about what a great job your Mom was doing and how well she was progressing through labor! You will find out soon enough when you become a Mom, but working your way through labor is a tough thing!
We actually sat for quite a bit, just chatting it up until your Grandpa VanderMeer came down from your Mom’s room and told Auntie Amy and I to get up there. I had not thought in a million years that you would decide to hurry it along so fast but you had plans about being born that night!
Auntie Amy and I made a quick run upstairs and your Mom’s doctor was already in the room when we got there. The nurses were bringing all the new baby stuff: warmer, any tools they might need, blankets, etc. I couldn’t believe I was actually going to see you be born…talk about a heart going about ninety miles an hour!
I watched your Mom have about 2-3 really strong contractions and let me tell you, she was such a trooper! There are not a lot of ladies who can have a baby without having some sort of medication and she did it!!!! She was super calm, talking and joking around with the doctor and when she would have a contraction she would take your Dad’s hand and squeeze it. Your Dad was pretty quiet, hard to believe huh? I think he was nervous and excited too! J
Well, they got all of their gear ready and your Mom started to push to welcome you into this crazy world. Ashlee, it’s amazing. I hope that someday you will have the honor of watching a sister, friend, or cousin give birth. It is the most amazing, overwhelming experience you can imagine and I am crying again right now remembering it.
Anyway, I don’t exactly remember how many times she pushed…maybe 2 or 3 before your head popped out…but then it suddenly got very serious in the room. Your head was out but your shoulders had gotten stuck. No one was shouting or anything but the atmosphere in the room changed dramatically. The nurse standing next to your Mom told her pretty emphatically that she needed to push like she had never pushed before. Okay, so I don’t remember her exact words but she was pretty serious. Another nurse came around her bed and took her leg, which your Dad was holding, and was giving orders to your Mom too.
I could see that the doctor was working hard to try to wiggle you out. It all happened so fast that there wasn’t a whole lot of time to get scared but it was definitely a tense moment for that minute or two and all I could think was “don’t let something bad happen now, God”. But, you finally appeared, the doctor declared that you were a girl, and we all sighed with relief and commenced with the crying.
It was so cool to listen to you cry in the baby warmer…to see you those first few minutes of life, and to know that as you grow up I have that experience in my heart to remember.
Your Mom was obviously extremely happy but I have to tell you that it was more fun to watch your Dad those first few moments. At first he didn’t move from his spot next to your Mom’s bed but within 5 minutes he inched his way over to your warmer to check you out. It kind of felt, watching him, like I was invading on such a private moment, a daddy and his new daughter having a conversation for the first time. He talked to you in that baby talk that he always uses and I couldn’t help but smile.
You were such a cutie…such much hair, so much little chub, so cute even after going through a bit of a traumatic birth. You looked just like a girly version of your big brother and I don’t think your parents could have been any prouder.
So, that’s the story. That’s what I remember from the night you were born. When I realized how many grandparents were waiting downstairs to meet you I made a quick exit so they could get their chance to love you up. I pretty much ran back to my car, full of energy, wanting to get home to the girls to tell them the cool news!
Ashlee, as you grow up you will definitely have moments where you don’t agree with your parents or don’t appreciate the decisions they make for you. But please remember this: Your parents love you more than you can imagine! Your Mom struggled for SO long and wanted you SO badly! You were prayed for, wished for, dreamt about…you are a special kid to your family and they will always only want the best for you!
I hope that you grow up to be a strong, Christian woman like your Mom. You have cool things ahead of you and I can’t wait to see you grow, to see your kids, your daughters, and know that I got to be a witness to see your entrance to God’s earth. We love you!
Love,
Auntie Hill
Friday, June 26, 2009
From Auntie Hill
Labels:
Ashlee
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment